Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ads I Enjoy, and Then Those Other Ones

I have chuckled at Allstate's new television commercials once or twice over the past few weeks. I fully appreciate the character "Mayhem" representing all the things that have, can, or will eventually happen to our automobiles. They're clever, recognizable, a little outrageous and definitely good for a laugh



Then there's T-Mobiles newest ad campaign... It's horrible. We all know and recognize Apple's TV ads, where the young guy represents Apple and the old balding guy in the business suit represents PC. They were great! They were funny. People recognized the campaign and they were very immediately catchy. Recently, T-Mobile spoofed, copied, reinterpreted (take your pick,) the famous Apple ads to, short of ironically, position themselves against the iPhone. While they are clearly playing on the old Apple commercials, they are not doing it very well, and it points out a lack of originality in the company. Their ads say "copycat," and I'll stop myself before I give my opinion on the product

No comments: